Skip to main content

Creating a safe community for our students


Especially at the beginning of the school year when students may be feel extra anxious about grade level changes, new classmates, new teachers, and in some cases a brand new school; it is important to create a welcoming environment where students feel safe and part of a community.  I know this year alone, I have 2 students that spent their last academic year in the virtual academy, 1 student who was home schooled, and 2 students who moved from out of state. I think about how different this must be for them and what I can do to help transition into this new reality for them. 

After watching a video titled, "Starting Each Class With a Warm Welcome" on Edutopia.com, I was able to reflect more on my own morning meeting and got ideas of what I can incorporate into them to help create a trusting relationship with my students. Here are a few take aways I took from the video. How have you been utilizing these strategies and are you maintaining them throughout the school year.

  • Quick Daily Check Ins
This practice gives all students to opportunity to express the emotions as they come into the classroom. At my school we have taught a the Zones of Regulations, but admittedly I do not speak of it nearly as often. In the video I saw boards, that were created with the use of technology, that let students drag their names into different categories that represented their feelings in that moment. (Starting Each Class with a Warm Welcome, 2021b) By introducing this into their daily routine it also encourages students to self reflect and check in with before their day starts.

Zones of Regulation - Hunters Bar Infant School
  • Go-Around Questions
In Go-Around Questions students are brought together in a circle, like sitting around the carpet and are presented with a question. This seemed pretty simple when I first heard it, but the aspect I liked about it is that it does not always have to be a serious question but instead it can be a silly question or even based on a theme. The video offered a strategy called Rose and Thorn, allowing students to share one thing that makes them happy and one thing that they may be struggling with. (Starting Each Class with a Warm Welcome, 2021b)
Circles Games - Restorative Approaches - a teacher's guide
  • Mindfulness
Mindfulness is a practice that I believe I have included appropriately into the school day. We take time to practice our breathing, stretching, or even go through a do guided meditation as a class. When I notice that my students seem more riled up than usual, for example when coming back from a special or after recess, I use these strategies to help them calm themselves and create a soothing environment prior to beginning of a lesson.
10 Ways to Define Mindfulness - Mindful
  • Greet Every Student at the Door
Greeting every student at the door is a practice I would hope is part every teacher's daily routine, especially at the Elementary level. At my school it is an expectation to greet every student as they enter the classroom; by doing so you are able to pick up on little facial expressions that might lead to a needed conversation. Overall starting your students' day off with a smile lets them know that they are cared for and that you are excited to see them. I use visuals at my door that allows my students to choose how they would like to greet me in the morning. In addition to the "Buenos Dias" we will exchange, students can give me a toe tap, elbow bump, heart hands etc. These small interactions can make a big difference in my opinion.








Starting Each Class With a Warm Welcome

References:

Starting Each Class With a Warm Welcome. (2021b, July 30). Www.edutopia.org. https://www.edutopia.org/video/starting-each-class-warm-welcome


Comments

  1. I can't agree more, it is amazing how far a simple greeting can go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What does flexible seating look like in the classroom?

As I begin my school year off in a new grade level there are lots of changes and adjustments that I must confront. One big change that is undeniably visible is the use of desks!!! When I taught Kindergarten my seating was flexible in the sense that no student had an actual assigned seat, but instead would rotate through centers and chose a seat at the table they were assigned to be at in that moment. As I walked into my into my new 2nd grade classroom I almost forgot that desks would be involved. Thinking back to my own 2nd grade desk experience, and honestly the majority of my primary school experience, I remember the rigidness of rows facing the black board! I knew for sure that is not what I wanted to do, but also felt a bit at a loss of what it "should" look like. I picked at my colleagues' mind in the building and got great ideas of how to clusters desks together. But, when I looked online for more ideas and inspiration I was greeted by the idea of flexible seating.

Calm-down Corner

While tweeting for my #EDUC502 class many tweets about began to show up on my feed about calm-down corners, here is one that served as inspiration for this blog. The use of calm-down corners seem to be popping up more and more in classrooms around my school building. The students' adjustment back to building from online learning has been accompanied by many behaviors. At all grade levels I have spoken with colleagues that have mentioned that they have noticed the increase of behaviors such as students being physical with one another and having outbursts during their class. I did not start the school year off with a calm-down corner in my classroom but hope to incorporate it by the start of the next marking period. After picking at many colleagues minds I have put together a few items and ideas I would like to include in mine. I have heard how successful these corners can be, although also it does bring up more questions on management. If you have a calm-down corner how do you use

Spanglish

Spanglish is a term that is used in the Hispanic community when a person is speaking and mixes both English and Spanish words, either creating new words like "troca" for truck or buy interchanging languages as they speak through out the same sentence. This is a term I am incredibly familiar with since it was a big no-no in my household growing up. Even now as a dual language teacher my mother will still regañarme when I do it, but sometimes it feels almost necessary. For example using the word "regañar" for me felt more familiar and accurate; I could have said "scold me" but it wouldn't have been as natural.  While of course there are times and places to use specific language over I agree with  Dr. José Medina's Twitter  post when he speaks of that when people, like my mother, have issues with the use of Spanglish they are linguistic oppressors when in reality it is higher cognitive skill to do so.  (Kim et al., 2021) The American school system see